January 23, 2023 at 3:23 pm #3114Maureen BarryParticipant
Decatur, IL (Population 70,500) The City of Decatur is seeking an energetic, passionate, and accomplished professional to serve as its next Chief Financial Officer. The current CFO is retiring after serving 10 years in the position. Decatur is the largest city and the county seat of Macon County in the State of Illinois. Decatur was founded in 1829 and is located 40 minutes from Springfield and less than 3 hours from St. Louis, Indianapolis, and Chicago.
Decatur has been a manufacturing center for more than a century. Beginning in the 1990’s it lost population as factories down-sized or off-shored operations. Decatur is now seeing a resurgence of manufacturing jobs returning. Decatur offers award-winning parks and recreational opportunities, restaurants, live entertainment, and shopping in a recently redeveloped Downtown. Lake Decatur is the 10th largest lake in the State of Illinois and lies wholly inside the city. The lake is owned by the City.
The municipal government in Decatur can be characterized as stable, both politically and administratively. The City of Decatur has approximately 450 full-time employees and a net annual operating budget of $237 million. Since 1958, the City has operated under the Council-Manager form of government. The City is governed by the City Council which consists of a team of six (6) Council Members, elected by wards to 4 year overlapping terms, and a Mayor who is elected on an at-large basis to a 4-year term. The City Council appoints a City Manager who oversees the day-to-day operation of the City and who makes professional recommendations to the elected body on all policy matters. All City department heads, including the CFO, report to the City Manager.
The CFO is a key member of the City’s leadership and management team. In addition to traditional CFO and treasurer duties, this position also supervises numerous internal and external service functions including Risk Management, Employee Benefits Administration, Payroll, Business Licensing, Utility Billing, and Central Purchasing Procurement. The City’s Finance Department consists of 23 employees all of which report directly to the CFO.
It is important that the CFO is an effective communicator with the ability to work collaboratively with all department heads and other key stakeholders.
Major duties of the position include the following:
• Manages all fiscal affairs of the City including all accounting, risk management, auditing, and financial reporting.
• Plans, directs, controls, and evaluates the activities of the Financial Management Department.
• Coordinates the preparation of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report in accordance with governmental GAAP and all GASB pronouncements.
• Coordinates the preparation and administration of the annual budget and actively participates in policy making decisions relative to resource/program allocation.
• Prepares long-range financial planning forecasts for all funds of the City including all revenues and expenditures.
• Manages the central procurement of all needed goods and services for all departments of the City through the centralized purchasing function.
• Coordinates the issuance of all long-term debt, and overall debt administration.
• Develops investment policies and manages the day-to-day investments of all city funds.
Ideal candidate for the position:
• Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Public Policy, Public Administration, Accounting, Business, or some other related field. Master’s degree in any of these disciplines is highly desirable.
• CPA or CPFO achievement is a plus but not required.
• At least 7 years of increasingly responsible experience in executive-level financial administration in the public sector or a field related to the public sector.
Other important skills, abilities, and attributes include:
• Thorough knowledge of financial automation systems, purchasing and treasury management.
• Thorough knowledge of governmental fund accounting, financial and budgetary practices, procedures, and guidelines. Thorough knowledge of GASB rules and protocols, especially those governing municipal accounting, debt, and revenue administration.
• Skill in planning, directing, controlling, and evaluating subordinate’s work.
• Strong analytical, and oral and written communication skills, staff leadership and management abilities, and a demonstrated proficiency and enthusiasm for working closely with elected and appointed officials.
• Skill in preparing fiscal reports and maintaining records.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel and general working knowledge of enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems.
The starting salary range is $130,000 – 150,000 DOQ/E. Residency inside the corporate limits of Decatur is required within twelve months of starting. The City is pleased to offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes health, dental, life, 457-deferred compensation plan and pension through the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please submit a résumé, cover letter, and three (3) professional references to http://www.GovHRjobs.com. The application deadline is February 21, 2023. Confidential inquiries are encouraged and should be directed to Mark Peterson, GovHR at (847) 380-3240.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.