August 9, 2019 at 10:26 am #2192
Application Deadline: August 23, 2019 at 4:30 PM
We are looking for a person who can perform or direct statutory duties of the Clerk/Treasurer. The person will be able to prepare internal and external financial reports as well as plan and organize the financial operations of the City. Our candidate will coordinate both financial and non-financial activities of independent Commissions and Authorities with the City.
Duties and Responsibilities:
City of Juneau (Population 2,800) is a progressive and full service community located 45 miles northeast of Madison. Salary based on qualifications and experience, plus competitive benefits package. This position reports to the Mayor and 6-member Common Council.
This full-time position requires a strong working knowledge of Municipal Management, Governmental Budgeting, Finance, Personnel/Labor relations, Economic Development, Intergovernmental Relations and Public Relations. This position also maintains all official city records, Ordinances and Resolutions and is responsible for the administration of elections, oversees payroll, payables, accounts receivable, and CDA (Community Development Authority). This position will be required to attend committee meetings after hours. Directs and oversees the activities of City Hall office staff.
The City of Juneau reserves the right to ask any potential employee to demonstrate how they can effectively perform these duties.
Distinguishing Features of the Class:
• Plans, installs and maintains a central accounting system for the City, CDA and the Water, Wastewater and Electric Utilities.
• Performs financial activities including financial statement preparation, liaison with auditors, cash and investment management, debt administration, budget development, financial policy development and tax roll preparation.
• Directs and coordinates City Hall activities including:
o Accounts payable, payroll, fringe benefit administration, tax collection, elections, licensing, insurance risk management, records management including minutes, resolutions and ordinances, meeting agendas and centralized financial administration aspects of the electric, water and wastewater utilities.
• Coordinates Utility accounting, audit and cash management activities with the City.
• Attends City Council & Finance meetings and other meetings as invited.
• Supports City Committees in development and administration of contracts with vendors and customers.
• Serves under the general direction and supervision of the Mayor, Community Development Authority and Utility President.
• Write grants as needed.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Thorough knowledge of the general laws and administrative policies governing municipal financial activities and the principles and practices of accounting and budgeting in government;
• Thorough knowledge of the legal requirements associated with the Treasurer and Clerk duties;
• Functions and organization of municipal government;
• Thorough knowledge of modern office practices and procedures;
• Ability to formulate and install new methods, procedures and records;
• Ability to evaluate the work performed by subordinate staff;
• Ability to prepare informative financial reports;
• Ability to establish and maintain a compatible working relationship with department heads and other governmental officials;
• Must show tact and courtesy.
• Must possess a valid Wisconsin driver’s license.
Acceptable Experience and Training:
• Extensive experience in public finance and governmental functions of the level of department head, or
• graduation from a college or university of recognized standing highly desirable with a major in accounting, business or public administration, or
• any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
• Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
• Ability to effectively and accurately operate a computer at a moderate rate of speed.
• Ability to concentrate for long periods of time.
• Corrected vision and/or hearing (if needed).
• Good physical and mental condition.
Application deadline is August 23rd, 2019 by 4:30 PM. You can visit our website at cityofjuneau.net
and click on Employment in the blue box to obtain an application form. Please mail Application, Cover Letter and Resume to: City of Juneau, PO Box 163 Juneau, WI 53039.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.