- This topic is empty.
January 27, 2020 at 9:57 am #2296Misty DodgeModerator
MADISON, CITY OF (WI)
invites applications for the position of:
Accountant 2 (Purchasing)
$32.75 – $38.86 Hourly
$2,538.01 – $3,011.76 Biweekly
$5,499.02 – $6,525.48 Monthly
$65,988.26 – $78,305.76 Annually
COMP. GROUP/RANGE: 18/08
JOB TYPE: PERMANENT FULL TIME
DEPARTMENT: Finance Department
OPENING DATE: 01/24/20
CLOSING DATE: 02/07/20 11:59 PM
The City of Madison Finance Department is searching for a responsible professional with experience in work planning, coordinating, and performing purchasing and accounting functions, and activities of the Purchasing, Governmental, and Proprietary Accounting Services Section within the Finance Department. This is advanced project level work for the City’s General and Special Revenue Funds, Community Development Authority Funds, Enterprise, and Internal Service Funds. Additionally, the employee develops, coordinates, implements, and upgrades complex financial systems. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Procurement Supervisor, and participates in the formulation of accounting, purchasing, and financial policies and procedures. This position provides assistance to other city departments regarding complex financial accounting issues, contract negotiation, purchasing cards, and procurement policies and procedures.
IMPORTANT: THERE ARE SUPPLEMENTAL ESSAY QUESTIONS ON THE JOB POSTING.
YOU MUST ATTACH YOUR ANSWERS IN THE ATTACHMENTS SECTION OF YOUR APPLICATION.
(To view the questions, click on the supplemental question tab OR view the bottom section of the job bulletin)
**APPLICATIONS RECEIVED WITHOUT ATTACHED ESSAY RESPONSES WILL IMMEDIATELY BE ELIMINATED FROM CONSIDERATION.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Formulate and assist with purchasing policies and procedures, encumbrance (purchase orders) and budget compliance, bidding and RFP processing, surplus distribution, and other procurement initiatives, such as local preferences and sweat free apparel.
• Negotiate, formulate, and assist with contract routing during procurement.
• Lead and direct Finance department staff in the preparation of the City’s financial statements and reporting requirements.
• Prepare complex accounting transactions by applying accounting principles and theory.
• Perform month-end statement reconciliations.
• Assist with Legistar fiscal notes. Provide high level expertise in proper account segment coding.
• Assist the Risk Manager in preparing accounting related transactions for the Internal Service Funds.
• Assist with website maintenance, user group trainings/meetings, procedural reviews, and procurement reporting and analysis, incorporating policy level recommendations.
• Serve as liaison to external auditors during financial audits.
• Develop and assist with ERP and other city-wide subsidiary systems.
• Develop, implement, upgrade, and supervise accounting and procurement financial system applications, and other city-wide subsidiary systems.
• Provide technical support and training to City departmental staff, including preparation of supporting training documentation. Maintain and recommend system policies and procedures.
• Participate in continued system setup, review parameter settings, maintain tables and workflows, import/export data, and perform related conversions.
• Respond timely to agency staff questions and provide subject matter expertise.
• Assist staff in order to manage daily activities and projects for Purchasing and Proprietary Accounting Funds.
• Assist with training of new Finance Department staff; work with current staff to develop proper accounting techniques and software efficiencies.
• Provide assistance to other City departments and elected officials.
• Serve as liaison in coordinating financial and purchasing transactions, advising personnel of accounting issues, systems, policies and procedures, local, state, and federal regulations.
• Serve as technical advisor to elected officials and committees in evaluating and developing policies related to purchasing.
• Attend meetings to gather and convey purchasing, accounting, and contracting information.
• Provide direction and consultation to departmental staff on an ad hoc or project basis.
• Assist to coordinate and administer other purchasing and accounting fund program areas as needed.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, or a degree in a related program (i.e. finance).
• Two years experience in performing professional purchasing activities
• Two years of experience preparing financial reports, reconciling reports or record maintenance.
If an applicant does not possess the specific requirements listed above, HR will review the application materials to determine if the applicant possesses the following equivalent experience:
Four (4) years of experience with the following:
• Professional accounting theory, principles, and practices.
• Various accounting systems and their applicability to financial operations.
• Computer software applicable to the duties of the position.
The City of Madison strives to provide exceptional customer service to all its residents and visitors. Therefore successful candidates will have demonstrated ability to effectively work with multicultural communities.
For a complete list of the Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities, please see the class specification.
Work is normally performed in an office environment, using computers, telephones, copiers, etc. Employees are expected to sit or stand at a workstation for extended periods of time while performing work.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.