- This topic is empty.
March 5, 2020 at 3:17 pm #2325Misty DodgeModerator
MADISON, CITY OF (WI)
invites applications for the position of:
Principal Accountant or Trainee
SALARY: $38.86 – $51.43 Hourly
$3,011.76 – $3,986.01 Biweekly
$6,525.48 – $8,636.36 Monthly
$78,305.76 – $103,636.26 Annually
COMP. GROUP/RANGE: 18/12 or 18/14
JOB TYPE: PERMANENT FULL TIME
DEPARTMENT: Finance Department
OPENING DATE: 03/03/20
CLOSING DATE: 03/31/20 11:59 PM
This is highly responsible professional, managerial, supervisory, and administrative work in planning, coordinating and directing the accounting functions, staff and activities of the Governmental Accounting Section within the Finance Department. The employee develops, coordinates, implements, and administers complex financial systems. The work entails management of Capital Projects including TIFs and Special Assessments, and the Debt Service funds including overseeing complicated accounting transaction processing, internal/external financial reporting and ensuring audit compliance requirements. This position assists with the preparation of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report and supporting schedules for submission to the GFOA. The employee manages, and directs the accounts receivables, special assessments and ambulance conveyance billing functions. Work is characterized by a high degree of independent judgment, discretion and considerable initiative. This position also serves as the liaison to the Public Health Madison and Dane County Joint Venture, Metropolitan Unified Fiber Network, and the Business Improvement District Component Unit. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Accounting Services Manager, and participates in the formulation of accounting and financial policies and procedures as part of the Finance Department’s Management Team.
A completed application will include a cover letter in the Attachments section of the application. In your cover letter (one page maximum) please highlight the following:
• Present a brief summary of your capabilities in leading employee teams and work groups through an external audit process.
• Discuss your achievements implementing Enterprise Resource Planning or other types of software solutions.
**Failure to submit a cover letter with your application will result in immediate elimination from the recruitment process.**
NOTE: Based on the selected candidate’s qualification and experience this position may be hired as a trainee position. If hired as a trainee position work assignments and applicable training are structured to provide for advancement to the class of Principal Accountant (as outlined below). The specifics of the training program will be based on the knowledge, skills and abilities of the appointee. The training program and salary advancement will be agreed upon prior to appointment. Salary is at the trainee level and expected to progress up to a 18/14 upon successful completion of the training program, which will last about two (2) years.
APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED UNTIL THE CLOSING DATE, HOWEVER THE FIRST CONSIDERATION DATE IS MARCH 17TH.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) System Administrator.
• Formulate and analyze process flows to determine impact on ERP and respective city-wide subsidiary systems.
• Consult with Departments/Divisions and determines process and reporting requirements.
• Develop and direct ERP system architecture for effective administration, compliance and reporting.
• Manage ongoing implementation and upgrading of application modules including training and required documentation
• Manage, develop, and participate in ERP system setup and settings including security, workflow, imports, allocations, reporting, conversions, and interfaces.
• Develop custom reporting solutions.
• Maintain effective employee relations by providing recommendations, training, and system support to Finance Department and other City staff.
• Manage, develop, and participate in CaseWare system set-up and settings including security, workflow, imports, allocations, conversions, and reporting for the city’s annual CAFR compilation.
Managing accountant for Capital Projects, Debt Service, Special Assessments, and liaison to Public Health Madison and Dane County, MUFN, and Business Improvement District entities.
• Manage and lead all aspects of responsible governmental fund accounting. This includes supervision of daily complex accounting transactions; directing the preparation of the financial statements; participating in compliance reporting for external audits; preparation of annual borrowing Official Statements and debt requirements, IRS arbitrage compliance and reporting.
• Analyze and interpret fiscal impact of proposed legislation.
• Review, and execute city-wide contracts. Encumber contracts to ensure budget compliance.
• Consult and represent the Finance Department at Boards and Commission meetings, Alders, Department/Division heads, and City department staff regarding financial statements, projections, accounting policies and procedures.
• Lead, develop, and respond to diverse accounting issues and concerns.
Manage the accounts receivables, special assessments and ambulance conveyance billing sections and lead governmental accounting staff.
• Develop processes, priorities, and best practice standards for responsible functions.
• Lead and supervise professional, paraprofessional and clerical staff.
• Evaluate section needs, determine appropriate staffing levels and positions.
• Hire new staff; write/revise position descriptions; work with Human Resources to make position description changes/reclassifications.
• Train and develop staff.
• Perform staff disciplinary actions including development of performance plans.
• Participate in employee grievances and recommend resolutions.
• Assist other supervisory staff with racial equity and social justice initiatives.
Perform other responsibilities as assigned.
• Two years of advanced-level accounting experience including at least two years in a technical or project leadership capacity.
• Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in Accounting, or a degree in a related program such as finance, including completion of advanced-level Accounting major coursework.
• CPA license preferred
If an applicant does not possess the specific requirements outlined above, HR will review the application materials to determine if the applicant possesses the following equivalent experience:
Four (4) years experience in applying the following:
• Professional accounting theory, principles and practices; various accounting systems and their applicability to municipal financial operations; data processing and its application to accounting systems.
• Computer software applicable to the duties of the position.
Two (2) years experience in applying the following:
• Methods, principles, and practices of effective conflict resolution.
Familiarity with the following:
• Principles and practices of governmental budgeting and purchasing procedures and practices.
• The full range of supervisory principles and practices, labor relations and personnel management.
The City of Madison strives to provide exceptional customer service to all its residents and visitors. Therefore successful candidates will have demonstrated ability to effectively work with multicultural communities.
For the complete list of the knowledge, skills, and abilities, please reference the classification specification.
Ability to meet the transportation requirements of the position.
Work is primarily sedentary in nature and performed in an office environment. Employees will be expected to use standard office equipment such as a telephone, computer, calculator, copier, and fax machine.
THE CITY OF MADISON IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER FUNCTIONING UNDER AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION PLAN. WE ENCOURAGE PEOPLE OF COLOR, WOMEN AND INDIVIDUALS WITH A DISABILITY TO APPLY.
It is your responsibility to list all related jobs, correct dates of employment, average number of hours worked per week, etc. Be sure to place the complete job title on your application. If you wish to provide additional or supplemental information, please provide a resume in addition to the formal application. If you are still employed please indicate this. Failure to provide accurate and complete information may result in you not being considered for this position.
All applicants are notified by email of the status of their application in each selection process. Those applicants invited to exams will receive an email notice of the date, time, and location. Alternate exam dates/times are not available except in the case of an emergency. Emergency situations are reviewed on an individual basis. Conflicting work hours are not considered an emergency. Exams are job specific and are developed based on the duties to be performed and the criteria listed under the Knowledge, Skills and Abilities section of the job announcement . Exam results are generally available within 2 weeks of the exam, and will be emailed or may be accessed through your NEOGOV account. Due to the volume of exams given by our office, exam scores are not available via telephone.
As an employer, the City of Madison places a strong emphasis on customer service and strives to provide a working environment where: Engagement and equity are supported; Diversity and differing opinions are valued; Teamwork and open and honest communication are encouraged; Meeting customer needs through quality service is a common goal; Creativity is encouraged; Continuous learning and improvement is fostered. Come be a part of the team!
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
215 Martin Luther King Jr., Blvd.
MMB Rm 261
MADISON, WI 53703
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTANT OR TRAINEE
Principal Accountant or Trainee Supplemental Questionnaire
* 1. Although not required for this position are you currently a licensed CPA?
* Required Question
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.