October 9, 2019 at 12:47 pm #2240
Title: Deputy Finance Director
Direct Supervisor: Finance Director
Version Date: October 1, 2019
Salary Grade: S
FLSA Status: Exempt
Under general direction of the Finance Director/Treasurer, supervises and participates in maintaining an effective central accounting system for the City, including pre audit, audit and other financial controls. Supervises accounting employees, tax rolls, accounts payables and receivables, and general accounting needs and participates in the preparation of the department and city budget. Performs other related work. Requires independent judgment, discretion, and initiative and excellent professionalism in communication and documentation of processes within the department.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Supervises and participates in maintaining the City’s accounting and financial records, accounts payables and receivables, tax roll, payroll, fixed assets, etc.
2. Authorized to perform all the duties of the Finance Director/Treasurer when that official is not available.
3. Plans, assigns, trains, and effectively supervises personnel within the department from Accountant(s), Accounts Payable Assistant, Purchasing Agent, to Administrative Assistant, and other personnel.
4. Develops new and revised office and accounting procedures to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the department, subject to approval of the Finance Director/Treasurer.
5. Assists in preparation and review of departmental budgets and oversees budget controls.
6. Researches and implements changes as the result of State or Federal regulations pertaining to municipal finance, i.e., Federal Revenue Sharing, Levy Limits, Department of Revenue reports, indebtedness, taxation, etc.
7. Prepares difficult financial and other reports for the City system and outside agencies as required.
8. Prepares information requested by the Committee on Finance and Personnel and others, as requested.
9. Supervises the opening and closing procedures of the financial system, and is the internal auditor of journal entries, financial statements, treasury cash flow and cash management, and accounts payable. May review, audit or assign auditing responsibilities for payroll records, etc.
10. Responsible for grant administration including file maintenance, pre audit inspection and final audit. Administers wastewater accounting including cost allocation and development of sewer user charges.
11. Assists in the collection of subrogation payments from third party workers compensation and liability costs.
12. Coordinates the tax collection function including balancing special assessments, preparing the tax roll, preparing the tax bills and balancing the tax roll to settle with the County.
13. Coordinates or assists in the annual audit of the City’s financial statements.
14. Coordinates or assists in the coordination of the preparation of the City’s annual budgets.
15. Coordinates with Data Processing the computer applications as they apply to the accounting and financial requirements of the City.
16. Maintains and controls the chart of accounts for the general ledger including all appropriations and revenues in all funds and cost centers.
Plans, assigns, trains, and effectively supervises personnel including the Accountant, Bookkeeper, Account Clerks, and Cashiers.
1. Considerable knowledge of modern municipal accounting principles and practice and financial management
2. Considerable knowledge of interdepartmental activities, ordinances, and Council proceedings
3. Considerable knowledge of budget preparation, control, and auditing
4. Working knowledge of data processing systems
5. Considerable ability to plan, organize, and supervise the work of staff employees in an efficient and economical manner.
6. Ability to establish and maintain effective working and public relationships.
7. Considerable ability to organize and conduct technical research work.
Education & Experience
1. Graduation from an accredited college with a major in accounting, finance or related degree.
2. Five years of progressively responsible experience in accounting and supervisory experience.
Job offers for this position are contingent on the individual passing a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Ability to communicate effectively in written and verbal form is required. Prepare and maintain accurate and complete reports and records.
Position requires considerable knowledge of accounting, internal auditing and mathematics.
Ability to act, make decisions, and justify action based on rational thought, good judgment, and logical thought.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work performed is primarily in a standard office environment that includes exposure to computer screens. Primary functions include sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an office setting, sit and answer phones, and use of computer equipment on a continuous basis.
On a frequent basis, must have the ability to stand, walk, sit, talk, and reach with hands and arms and occasionally lift, bend, stoop and retrieve files and boxes weighing up to 25-30 pounds. Position requires the operation of office equipment and required repetitive hand movement and fine coordination including use of a computer keyboard.
Work with employees and/or the public that may be angry or upset. Maintains regular punctual and predictable attendance, works overtime and extra hours as required.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description includes the major duties and responsibilities of the job and is not to be construed as all-inclusive. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or is a logical assignment to the position.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.