January 6, 2022 at 12:03 pm #2739Maureen BarryParticipant
La Crosse, WI (pop. 52,680). GovHR USA is pleased to announce the recruitment of candidates for the Director of Finance for the City of La Crosse, Wisconsin (the “City”). Located on Wisconsin’s western shore, La Crosse offers a rich culture and quality of life experiences from miles of bluff-land trail systems to extraordinary kayak, canoe and boating trails of the Upper Mississippi River and its tributaries, and three major performing arts venues. The City has progressive leadership with an eye on preserving its beautiful environment, rich history and development of beautiful new architectural landmarks. To learn more, please visit: https://chooselacrosse.com/.
With a 2022 General Fund budget of $67.6M in expenditures (including $60.3M in operating expenditures), and combined Proprietary and Special Revenue Funds expenditures of $29.3M, the City provides police and fire protection, the operation of parks and libraries, the maintenance of streets and snow plowing, transit, water, sewer and airport utilities, and the myriad of support services required to offer the quality services to which the community has grown accustomed. The City currently employs 518 full-time employees and 780 part-time/seasonal employees.
About the Position
The Director of Finance (the “Director”) plans, organizes, directs and controls all aspects of City financial accounting, debt management, treasury functions, purchasing, budget preparation and administration, payroll and supervision of staff, according to applicable rules and procedures.
This position is considered a City Executive by Common Council resolution and performs administrative level responsibilities that ensure fiscally responsible departmental operations for the City. The Director is appointed by Council and is responsible to the Mayor and Finance and Personnel Committee, working under the general supervision of the Mayor. The Director provides leadership for a department of 17 full-time employees and has five (5) direct reports.
Despite the pandemic’s impact, the City is in a strong financial position. Its last bond issues were given a ‘AA/Stable’ rating from Standard & Poor’s, citing “strong management (which has) routinely supported balanced operations, and budgetary flexibility (which) remains above the level we consider very strong”.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field, with a minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience (5 years at management/supervisory level) in the areas of accounting, budget preparations and review, cost and fund accounting, financial reporting and treasury experience.
• Master’s in related field, CPFO and/or CPA are preferred.
• Working knowledge of automated accounting systems and relevant technology is required; experience using payroll systems, tax collection or tax roll systems preferred.
• Previous governmental accounting/finance experience strongly preferred, however candidates with comparable private sector technical and management experience will also be considered.
• Ability to effectively communicate with management, council members and the public is critical.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this exempt position is $103,089 to $135,217 annually. The City offers a comprehensive benefit package including medical benefit plan, Wisconsin Retirement Plan, deferred compensation, Roth IRA, life insurance, income continuation insurance, voluntary dental and vision plans, paid holidays, vacations and sick leave. Benefit perks: low medical plan premium costs having a $400 deductible, participation in the Wisconsin Retirement System with a 6.75% employer contribution, 10 paid holidays, ability to earn up to 12 sick days per year and vacation time available as of date of hire.
Apply online at http://www.govhrusa.com with a resume, cover letter and contact information for five professional references by February 11, 2022. Confidential inquiries may be directed to Maureen Barry, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA at 847-380-3240, x116.
The City of La Crosse is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.