April 8, 2022 at 4:47 pm #2800Maureen BarryParticipant
Northbrook Park District, Illinois (pop. 35,222). The Northbrook Park District is seeking a collaborative and strategically minded professional for its Director of Finance and Technology (the “Director”) position. With a 2022 budget of $24.4 million, the Director’s responsibilities include leadership and managerial oversight of operations for the Finance and Information Technology teams. This includes policy and goal setting, directing the budgeting process, and short and long-term fiscal planning. The Director will have regular interaction with the Board of Commissioners, external auditors, and internal senior leadership.
The Northbrook Park District (the “District”) is a jurisdiction of 17.25-square miles located on the North Shore of the Chicago suburbs. A seven-member, volunteer Board of Park Commissioners establishes District policy, strategic direction, and governing ordinances. The District has an appointed Executive Director responsible to the Board for the administration of the District, along with a full-time staff of 73. The District also employs roughly 500 part-time, seasonal, and temporary employees and hundreds of volunteers in six divisions: Finance & Technology, Golf Operations, Human Resources & Risk, Marketing & Communications, Parks & Properties, and Recreation.
The District is in a strong financial position given its solid tax base, stable commercial/industrial presence and favorable proximity to the City of Chicago and suburban Cook County economic centers. The District has received the Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting for each year since 1992 from the Government Finance Officers Association of the United States and Canada (GFOA) and was the first Illinois agency to receive a ‘AAA’ rating from Moody’s Investors Service in 2007, which it continues to hold.
About the Position
The Director of Finance & Technology reports to the Executive Director and is responsible for providing strategic leadership and managerial oversight for all aspects of current operations and future projects and initiatives of the Finance and information Technology (IT) Departments, as well as ensuring alignment with the strategic mission and vision of the Northbrook Park District. Some of the position’s specific duties include:
• Perform short- and long-term Division planning to align with District goals; review and evaluate plans; develop and implement initiatives to support plans.
• Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate the work performance of staff (currently four full-time positions in addition to the Director).
• Direct the District-wide annual budgeting process, including development of budget timelines and coordination of Divisional reviews; present proposed budget to the Board and ensure compliance with all legal requirements.
• Prepare annual tax levy extension and all required documentation.
• Act in a lead role in debt management and bond issuance and work with external auditors during annual financial audit.
• Serve as appointed Board Treasurer; develop and maintain all financial policies of the District.
• Oversee payroll administration.
• Oversee purchasing processes for the District according to the District’s Purchasing Policy.
The Northbrook Park District is seeking an enthusiastic and experienced Director to lead its Finance & Technology Division. The successful candidate will have the following:
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business or Public Administration, or a related field.
• Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in public/governmental sector accounting, with progressive supervisory experience.
• Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business or Public Administration, or a related field is preferred.
• Knowledge of O365 Microsoft Office programs, especially Excel; experience with Incode and Activenet software a plus.
Compensation and Benefits
The anticipated starting salary range is $115,000 – $130,000 +/- DOQ. A comprehensive benefits package includes participation in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF), medical, dental, vision and prescription coverage (also available to dependents), life insurance, 457 deferred compensation plan, and flex spending. The District also offers paid vacation, holidays, and sick leave, along with a variety of District recreational benefits. Partial remote work schedule options may be available.
Apply online immediately at http://www.GovHRjobs.com with a resume, cover letter and contact information for three professional references. This position is open until filled with first review of resumes to begin April 28, 2022. Questions may be directed to Maureen Barry, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA at 224-282-8306. The Northbrook Park District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.