October 25, 2022 at 1:57 pm #3007Maureen BarryParticipant
Waukegan, IL (87,157) With a prime location on Lake Michigan, home to a large recreational harbor, multiple golf courses and award-winning theater, Waukegan is a full-service municipal government with a full-time Mayor and nine Alderpersons. Waukegan is the ninth largest community in Illinois and the fifth largest on the western shore of Lake Michigan. The City is focused on professionalizing staff to guide efforts and offer consistency in service delivery. There is a priority to ensure strategic and much needed investment in infrastructure. Waukegan is seeking a highly capable finance professional who will provide leadership and offer support and fiscal guidance to the Mayor and other City officials, Executive Team, and staff. With a FY23 budget of $233.4M, supported by 468 FTE, the City has planned $50M capital expenditures to support neighborhoods, address aging infrastructure and upgrade services. Waukegan’s American Place Casino is anticipated to open in its permanent location in 2025 and is anticipated to annually generate $3 million in new revenue for the City. Reporting directly to the Mayor, this position provides executive leadership over all accounting, finance, budget operations, contract management, and special projects.
● The Finance Director provides executive level leadership over Licensing, Water Utility Billing, and the Finance and Accounting department. This position serves as the Chief Financial Officer and supports the City Council’s Finance and Purchasing Committee serving as secretary. The Director has one direct report and 14 indirect reports. All positions are full-time. The Director oversees the development and administration of the annual budget and all financial operations ensuring these functions perform efficiently and effectively.
● The Finance Director regularly presents financial reports to the Mayor and City Council and must be adept at public oral presentations to board members, other governmental agencies, and various stakeholders.
● Waukegan is a large, complex, non-home rule organization consisting of more than 486 employees most of whom are represented by the 6 collective bargaining agreements. The Finance Director participates actively in collective bargaining. Waukegan has a diverse workforce and is committed to diversity and inclusion at all levels of the organization.
● With a strong commitment to fiscal responsibility and the support of the newly elected Mayor, the Director will lead innovation, identify key performance indicators, track performance, and recommend new methods and approaches, policy, and programmatic changes to ensure continuous improvement in the areas within the finance department.
● Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field. Master’s Degree, CPA or CGFO designation preferred.
● In addition, candidates will ideally possess 7 years managerial experience in financial operations in local government, or related field to demonstrate comprehensive municipal finance knowledge.
● Successful candidates will demonstrate innovative and creative problem-solving skills that include incorporating data and relevant metrics into decision making processes. Collaborative leadership skills with the ability to develop and maintain productive relationships both internally and externally are a must.
The full salary range is $127,214 to $171,213; starting salary $146,000 to $152,000 +/- depending on qualifications and experience. Waukegan offers an excellent benefits package including pensions, and 457b deferred compensation options. Residency in the City is not required. Relocation expenses are not provided.
Submit resume, cover letter, and contact information for five professional references at http://www.GovHRjobs.com to the attention of Kathleen Rush, Vice President, GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road #225, Northbrook, IL 60062 by November 28, 2022. Tel: 847-380-3240.
The City of Waukegan is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Application Deadline: November 28, 2022
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.