- This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Stephanie O’Brien.
February 8, 2023 at 11:05 am #3129Stephanie O’BrienParticipant
FINANCE DIRECTOR/TREASURER – CITY OF DE PERE
De Pere, consistently ranked as one of the best places to live in Wisconsin, is a safe, warm, and friendly community less than 10 minutes from the City of Green Bay and located right along the Fox River. De Pere is an integral part of the Green Bay and Brown County metro area, offering a below average cost of living, low crime rates, and a vibrant economy, all while maintaining a small town feel for an estimated 25,410 residents. With more than 1,400 acres of modern business parks, De Pere is home to the area’s largest employer, Humana. Additionally, De Pere has two exceptional public-school districts, Montessori and parochial schools, a special needs school, the nationally recognized Saint Norbert College, and the Medical College of Wisconsin.
The City of De Pere desires to hire an experienced, decisive, forward thinking, approachable, creative, and team-oriented Finance Director/Treasurer with a demonstrated track record of fiscal governance and knowledge of progressive financial policies and strategies. The desired candidate will possess a solid background in all aspects of municipal finance, coupled with a general understanding of all City operations and department compliance including enforcement of applicable federal, state, and local laws, ordinances, and codes. The ideal candidate will bring strong analytical and critical thinking skills and practicality to financial problem solving, will have a reputation for high integrity, honesty, and good judgement, and a solid background in managing accounting/finance projects timely and efficiently, and the vision to prepare an effective strategy for the future. The successful candidate will have in-depth knowledge of public policy, municipal functions and activities, and the ability to develop, oversee, and implement programs and processes in a variety of areas related to finance. They will be skilled in municipal financial recordkeeping techniques, government fund accounting, report preparation and presentation, financial/statistical methods, and strategic planning.
• Supervise all activities of the Finance Department, including, but not limited to, payroll processing, accounts receivable, and accounts payable processing and accompanying monthly, quarterly and annual reports to various government agencies; cash receipting and reconciliation; tax collection and reporting; and all other financial transactions.
• Direct, administer and maintain the accounting system for the City and the procedures governing the receipt and expenditure of municipal funds; ensure that the City’s financial records are accurately and promptly maintained in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and help safeguard City assets against unauthorized use.
• Oversee the City Clerk’s division including election planning, administration, and supervision to ensure compliance with State and Federal election laws.
• Prepare and analyze the City’s annual borrowing program, including working with the City’s financial consultant and bond counsel.
• Prepare and compile budgetary materials to provide the Council and Mayor with the information needed to prepare the annual budget. Lead the preparation of departmental and municipal budgets and assures the proper execution of those budgets through accounting and fiscal controls.
• Maintain City financial records as required by law and professional practice. Prepare reports and surveys as required for other government agencies, financial consultants, and others as necessary.
• Coordinate, analyze, and report financial projections and performance to Department Heads and City Administrator. Report on the financial status of the City, highlighting trends and unanticipated variances in expenditures and revenues.
• Provide fiscal policy recommendations to City Administrator and the Council. Provide direction and assistance to other departments regarding accounting and budgeting policies and efficient control and utilization of financial resources.
• Prepare short- and long-term forecasts of financial performance for use with internal management and external parties. Analyze financial records to identify development opportunities and to forecast future financial position and budget requirements.
• Develop, implement, and maintain accounting and administrative policies and procedures, including internal control policies for activities such as budget administration, cash and credit management, and accounting.
• Oversee and reconcile annual tax collections.
• Lead the preparation of the annual financial report and audit in conjunction with contracted auditors. Conduct or coordinate audits of City accounts and financial transactions to ensure compliance with state and federal requirements and statutes.
• Analyze City cash flow needs and invest funds in accordance with City investment policy, maximizing safety and obtaining the best possible return on investment. Assure that sufficient funds are available to meet the daily cash needs of the City. Monitor cash flow and reserve levels to ensure legal and regulatory requirements are met.
• Receive, record, and authorize requests for disbursements in accordance with City policies and procedures. Delegate authority for the receipt, disbursement, banking, protection, and custody of funds, securities, and financial instruments.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
This position requires a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field, and preferably a Master’s degree with CPA designation, and seven to ten years of experience performing similar duties.
The full salary range for this position is $104,832 – $149,739 plus excellent benefits package. The anticipated starting salary is $104,832 – $119,787. The City of De Pere rewards employees for exceptional work performance with a pay for performance incentive program. Employees may be awarded a salary increase, bonus, or paid time off for exceptional work performance.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received, and a formal review of all applications will start on approximately February 20, 2023. This announcement will remain posted, and we will continue to accept applications until the City reaches an agreement with one finalist.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.