- This topic is empty.
March 23, 2020 at 1:35 pm #2333Misty DodgeModerator
Village of Hawthorn Woods, Illinois
Chief Financial Officer
Hawthorn Woods, IL (7,663) is an upscale, friendly community that distinguishes itself by placing a high value on the protection of natural resources and offering residents an estate lifestyle. This vibrant, non-home rule community located in Lake County is seeking a public servant who leads with their heart and desires to work in an organization where employees are providing superior service through innovation and improvement. With an Aa3 bond rating, the community maintains a strong fund balance and conservative expenditure profile. With its rural heritage, popular Hawthorn Woods Country Club and a state-of-the-art aquatic center, residents consider this community an oasis just 40 miles from downtown Chicago.
The Village is seeking a hands-on, highly professional, dynamic public finance professional with exceptional interpersonal skills and strong local government experience to serve as their next Chief Financial Officer. As CFO, in this close-knit organization, the breadth of work will range from complex policy development to bank reconciliation to serving as the back-up for the payroll function. Hawthorn Woods is a proud winner of the GFOA budget and CAFR awards and has an expectation for continuous process improvement and innovation.
The Village of Hawthorn Woods has 30 full-time and 75 part-time/seasonal employees. Village departments include the Administration, Finance, Community Development, Parks and Recreation, Public Works and Police. Staff members are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work while respecting the need for work-life balance. Autonomy is proudly offered while conducting one’s work, while at the same time supporting fellow employees in the team environment is expected. The successful candidate will bring energy and a drive for excellence to the department. The new Chief Financial Officer is appointed by the Mayor with the consent of the Board of Trustees; he/she will serve as the staff liaison for both the Finance and Technology Committees. As a contractual employee, he/she will report to the Village Administrator and serve as a liaison/treasurer to the Police Pension Fund.
The Finance Department is responsible for the preparation of the annual audit and budget, financial forecasting, financial reporting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, benefit administration, liability and property insurance, risk management, sewer billing and purchasing. The Chief Financial Officer assists and supports the human resources function as well as is the primary lead on information technology. The new Chief Financial Officer will lead 1 full time employee who assists in the accounting, sewer billing and payroll function; as a small organization, the new Chief Financial Officer will be self-sufficient in executing their duties. The Village is on a calendar fiscal year. The Village has an annual budget is $4.34 million supporting 10 funds including two major funds (General and Capital) along with 8 other funds (Sister Cities, Community Development fund, Parks and Recreation, Parks Donation, Motor Fuel tax, Debt Service and two enterprise funds). The community will seek referendum approval for a property tax increase to support road infrastructure improvements in the future.
Qualified individuals will be expected to have:
• A minimum of seven years’ progressively responsible experience including in a supervisory position in public finance with strong knowledge of municipal finance practices including GASB standards. Public sector experience preferred.
• A bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, public administration, business administration or related field is required. A Master’s degree, CPA, or CPFA is required. Active participation in professional associations desirable.
• High standards of performance, productivity and initiative with a strategic approach to innovation and continual process improvement. The new Chief Financial Officer will mentor and encourage employee initiative to accomplish their work in new and better ways while respecting the regulatory framework that guides service delivery.
• Skill in financial analysis, forecasting and a familiarity with modern budgetary approaches, fund structure, GASB and GAAP principles and accounting practices.
• Impeccable professional and personal integrity that will inspire trust and confidence among subordinates, coworkers, elected/appointed officials and the general public.
• Knowledge of all local, state and federal laws pertaining to public fiscal administration and human resource management.
• Supervisory skills that promote team spirit, further the development of the department staff and create a learning environment which fosters growth and innovation resulting in superior department service delivery.
• Well-developed interpersonal and oral/written/presentation communication skills including the ability to communicate complex numerical data effectively including relaying information in clear graphic formats to ensure an understanding to a non-technical audience.
• Participation and commitment to the executive leadership team; demonstrating leadership and a concern for the community’s sustainability. Application of a forward-looking perspective to the delivery of financial services.
Starting salary range is +/- $130,000, depending on qualifications and experience. Residency is not required. Apply online at http://www.GovHRJobs.com with résumé, cover letter, and contact information for 5 professional references by April 17, 2020, Attn: Kathleen Rush, GovHRUSA, 630 Dundee Road, Suite 130, Northbrook, IL 60062. Tel: 847-380-3240 or 224-282-8313.
Click HERE To Apply!
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.