September 8, 2022 at 1:03 pm #2946Maureen BarryParticipant
(Norwalk, CT) The Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) is seeking candidates to serve as its Senior Research Manager, a position responsible for ensuring quality research on highly complex practical and conceptual issues. This position reports to the Director of Research and Technical Activities and will be assigned responsibility for several research activities including oversight of GASB sponsored external research. Candidates must have a passion for the GASB mission and extensive experience in the application of GASB standards.
The GASB members are appointed by the Financial Accounting Foundation (FAF) an independent, private-sector organization with responsibility for the oversight, administration, and finances of its standard-setting Boards, the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) and the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB), and their Advisory Councils.
The GASB mission is to establish and improve standards of state and local governmental accounting and financial reporting that will result in useful information for users of financial reports, and guide and educate the public, including issuers, auditors, and users of those financial reports.
GASB fulfills its mission through the standard setting process by establishing and improving financial accounting and reporting standards—known as Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, or GAAP—for state and local governments in the United States.
Research Planning and Supervision
• Along with the Project Manager and the Director of RTA, plan and supervise all fundamental research activities – primarily related to the pre-agenda research activities but may also include research activities conducted while a project is on the current GASB agenda.
• Identify constituent groups that will participate in the research, identify appropriate research methodologies and review research instruments such as surveys and interview scripts.
Project Planning and Review
• Develop research plans with Project Manager, which reflects necessary research and skills/resources needed to achieve plan, for review by the Director of RTA and approval of the Chairman.
• Determine with Project Manager needed research on the project and recommend how it would be implemented.
• Comply with project management policies and procedures described in the RTA Manual and GASB Rules of Procedure.
• Assist research and project teams in identifying the technical issues to be addressed.
• Review research and project plan objectives and timetable.
• Assist research and project teams in identifying accounting literature to be reviewed and assist research and project teams in writing research results.
• Discuss research strategies and projects with the RTA Director.
• Serve as liaison with academic community and other financial statement users.
• Develop and present speeches concerning GASB technical activities to a variety of stakeholder groups.
Essential Skills and Experience
Individuals holding this position should possess the following skills and attributes:
• Research and Project Management: Candidates must be able to balance multiple priorities, working consistently well under pressure with the ability to meet reasonable deadlines.
• Technical Knowledge: Candidates must have an excellent working knowledge of the GASB’s conceptual framework, working knowledge of governmental accounting standards and in-depth expertise in certain topical areas of the accounting literature and/or transactions (subject matter expert). Candidates must also be able to develop expertise in new areas, be able to independently analyze complex problems, identify key issues, develop and explore alternative solutions and develop a well-reasoned recommendation.
• Personal Characteristics: Candidates must possess strong interpersonal skills necessary to effectively interact with a wide variety of people. In addition, strong listening skills with the ability to hear, understand, and articulate others’ views is vital. Effective oral and written skills are also essential to success in this position. The ability to see both the big picture as well as the details is very important. The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to develop effective working relationships with Board members and senior staff as well; be respectful and tolerant of other views while possessing the self-confidence to defend their own perspective.
In addition, candidates will ideally possess a minimum of 10 years of experience working in a research capacity in a public accounting firm, university, government agency or comparable organization. A bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or business administration is required. An advanced degree and/or CPA is strongly desired. Extensive knowledge of the accounting standard setting process is highly valued.
Compensation, Benefits and Office Environment
The GASB Senior Research Manager position is a critical position in the GASB organization. Compensation and benefits are commensurate with this level of responsibility. Please contact the recruiter (see contact information below) for additional details. The FAF offices are located in Norwalk, Connecticut. GASB currently has a hybrid work model for employees and is open to discussions with candidates on work schedule options.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to indicate interest as soon as possible by contacting the recruiter, Heidi Voorhees, President of GovHR USA at HVoorhees@govhrusa.com or via telephone at 847-902-4110. Application materials, including resume, cover letter and contact information for five professional references should be submitted online to http://www.GovHRjobs.com.
The FAF is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. The FAF strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants or any other covered persons because of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, age, gender, gender identity or expression, marital or civil union status, sexual orientation, genetic information, citizenship, military service, mental or learning disability or physical disability, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. All Employees are prohibited from engaging in unlawful discrimination. This Policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, promotion, discipline, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment.
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.