- This topic is empty.
March 10, 2020 at 10:47 am #2328Misty DodgeModerator
UTILITY FINANCE MANAGER POSITION
Shawano Municipal Utilities (Shawano, Wisconsin) invites applications for the position of Finance Manager.
Position Description: The position is responsible for the financial management, oversight, and reporting for all fiscal activities of Shawano Municipal Utilities (SMU), and the Badger Power Marketing Authority (BPMA). Principal duties include oversight of the general ledger, payroll, accounts payable/receivable, utility billing and collections, cash flow management, budget preparation and reporting, debt administration, monthly financial statements, annual audit management and regulatory financial reporting and compliance
The Finance Manager is a key member of the SMU management team supporting fellow managers with budget and financial expertise and providing monthly reports, analysis and presentations to the SMU Commission and BPMA Board of Directors. The SMU Finance Manager also interacts with and supports the City of Shawano Finance Department in matters involving water and sewer utility accounting and reporting. The Finance Manager supervises the utility finance/customer accounts staff of four, and will engage daily with finance staff, fellow managers and utility customers.
Salary: $75,000 to $95,000 DOQ SMU offers an attractive municipal employee benefit package including health/dental insurance, paid leave, life and disability insurance and WRS pension.
Position Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance and minimum of five years’ experience performing upper-level accounting and financial management/analysis, including at least three years of supervisory experience. Direct experience in utility accounting and finance and utility (PSC) rate cases is highly desirable. CMA or CPA certification are beneficial.
About Shawano: The City of Shawano is an attractive, growing community of 9,300 residents located in easy driving distance of Green Bay and Appleton. It is located on the Wolf River and Shawano Lake and has over 300 acres of public parks. It was recently ranked as the 10th best site to start a business in Wisconsin. The City prides itself on its schools, parks, affordable housing, community participation, stable leadership, and all round quality of life.
For a complete position description, benefits summary and employment application materials, visit: https://www.cityofshawano.com/321/Employment-Opportunities or contact the Shawano Municipal Utilities office at: 122 N. Sawyer St; PO Box 436; Shawano, WI 54166; 715-526-3131; email@example.com
Complete Applications must be received at the address or email above no later than March 25, 2020. A complete application will include a: cover letter; resume and references; signed “Authorization and Release” form; and, a completed “Application for Employment”.
Shawano Municipal Utilities is an equal opportunity employer.
More about Shawano Municipal Utilities and Badger Power Marketing Authority
Shawano Municipal Utilities (SMU) is wholly owned by the City of Shawano. It is governed by a 7-member Utility Commission appointed by the Mayor and City Council. Badger Power Marketing Authority (BPMA) was created by the Cities of Shawano and Clintonville as a joint electric power purchasing agency for the two communities. The SMU management team is responsible for managing BPMA and reports to the BPMA Board of Directors comprised of 3 members appointed by the City of Clintonville and 3 members appointed by the City of Shawano. In 1996, SMU installed its own fiber-optic network within the City to monitor its electrical, water and sewer facilities. Soon after, the network was expanded to provide communication and internet services to other City Departments and the Shawano School District. In 2009, the City took over direct operation of the water and sewer departments, but SMU continues to provide the customer service, billing and collections and some regulatory accounting/reporting functions. SMU also provides City departments with information technology, communications and GIS needs. In 2019 SMU provided electricity to 5,700 meters and had gross revenues of $22,500,000.
Detailed Position Requirements
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance is absolutely required.
• Documented involvement in professional organizations providing continuing education is expected.
• CMA or CPA certification is desirable.
• Five years’ experience performing upper-level accounting and financial management/analysis tasks, including at least two years of supervisory experience, is required.
• Direct experience in municipal budgeting, utility accounting/finance and/or municipal fund accounting/finance is highly desirable.
• Expert knowledge of monthly and annual accounting and financial reporting cycles.
• Expert knowledge of general ledger activities, account reconciliation and financial statement preparation.
• Ability to develop expert knowledge of utility and municipal budget, finance, reporting and compliance.
• Thorough knowledge of occupational hazards and the appropriate safety precautions.
• Demonstrated ability to create, modify and manipulate complex financial spreadsheets to track, model and analyze data.
• Ability to apply advanced mathematical skills common in financial management and forecasting.
• Ability to lead and complete advanced financial and office automation projects.
• Ability to operate and troubleshoot specialized financial software and office equipment.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly, both verbally and in writing, with customers/public, co-workers, elected/appointed officials, regulatory authorities and industry peers.
• Ability to interact tactfully and effectively with utility customers/public, coworkers, municipal officials and regulators under difficult and sometimes confrontational circumstances.
• Ability to apply sound logic, reason and good judgment in making management decisions and financial recommendations to co-workers and policy makers.
• Ability to understand and carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.