January 16, 2024 at 2:33 pm #3567Maureen BarryParticipant
Deputy Finance Director, Wheeling, IL (pop. 39,137). Incorporated in 1894, and 27 miles northwest of Chicago, the Village of Wheeling originated as an overnight rest stop for travelers journeying from Chicago to the Wisconsin Territory. The inns, taverns, and eateries established in the 1830’s developed into Wheeling’s Restaurant Row. In step with the growth of Metro Chicago, Wheeling emerged as a center for industry and commerce. Today, Wheeling residents and business owners enjoy the vibrant neighborhoods, public amenities, and community spirit fostered by this rich heritage.
The Deputy Finance Director is a key part of the Village’s financial team in a financially stable organization. The Village maintains a AA bond rating from Standard and Poor’s and has earned the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) Distinguished Budget Presentation Award for several years.
The Village is seeking a technically skilled and collaborative Deputy Finance Director to assist the Director in managing the Village’s financial functions and activities. The Village’s Finance Department includes eight employees and is responsible for accounting, payroll, utility billing, budget development, financial reporting and investing. In concert with the Village Manager, the department develops and manages an overall Village budget of about $106 million.
The Village is seeking an ethical and experienced professional with strong technical and interpersonal skills. The ideal candidate must have an inclusive managerial style, as well as clear, concise, and open communication skills.
The successful candidate will:
• Be comfortable and adaptable with working in a fast-paced environment;
• Have a record of problem solving and decisiveness;
• Possess strong and proven accounting skills;
• Possess a passion for public service; and
• Have a desire to work collaboratively with members of the finance team and with other departments on the delivery of Village services.
Candidates should also have:
• A Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field; a Master’s degree and / or CPA is ideal;
• Three – five years of experience in a government setting or demonstrable skills in governmental fund accounting; and
• Supervisory experience.
The full salary range is $110,000 – $155,000. A competitive starting salary will be offered DOQ. A complete benefit package including membership in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund is also offered.
Candidates should apply online at http://www.GovHRjobs.com no later than February 23, 2024, as the review of resumes and offers to interview will be on-going. The position is open until filled. Submit a resume, cover letter and contact information for five work-related references to the attention of Lee Szymborski, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA, Tel: 847-380-3240 x 103. The Village is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.